Sony Electronics found automation, transparency and consistency with Conga
Sony Electronics (SEL) is the U.S. sales and marketing arm of Sony’s global electronics business. It is a leading provider of audio/video electronics and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Sony has played a key role in the development of Blu-ray Disc™, CD, DVD and Super Audio CD technologies, among many others. The Company produces and sells a wide range of consumer products, such as BRAVIA® high-definition televisions, Cyber-shot® digital cameras, Handycam® camcorders, VAIO® personal computers and Walkman® digital music players. Sony is an innovator in high-definition professional broadcast and video equipment, as well, highlighted by the XDCAM® HD and CineAlta™ lines of cameras and camcorders, and the SXRD™ 4K digital projector.
Sony’s legacy system was paper-based and unwieldy; processes were inefficient and results were inconsistent.
- No consistency existed in contract management or legal language. Subject to individual user.
- Difficult to locate physical documents
- Clauses were not updated by legal team as regulations changed
- Paper-based system was not feasible for reporting
- Approval processes were done manually, resulting in delays in contract completion cycles
- Needed new solution to replace original CLM system and be tied into PO system
- Required accessibility and adaptability for 1700 users company-wide
- Had to be applicable and functional for legal department (attorneys, contract administrators and paralegals), procurement, and IT
Conga Contracts℠ implemented a full and seamless migration from Sony’s previous CLM system and full integration into the Ariba® PO system.
- Automated delivery of the contract approvals that trigger the release of payments
- Automated and ad-hoc reports to see full scope of contract activities
- Automated workflows and approval processes to speed up contract cycle time
- Speedy and efficient contract creations via configurable wizard
- Ability to oversee, change and control clauses and legal language system-wide
- Full contract visibility
- Legacy contracts and data transferred into Conga Contracts system
- Legal department has full ownership and control of contracts, legal language and clauses
- Contract workflows and approvals obtained in timely manner
- Tied into Ariba PO system, which resulted in elimination of duplicate approvals needed by the same individuals in both systems
- 80% of all contracts fall under standard templates
- Reporting identifies outstanding items, negotiation standstills, and other bottlenecks for proactive resolution